ApchemWiki | RecentChanges | Preferences
Thermodynamics : The Study of the Flow of Heat / Energy
Chapters in Zumdahl, Chapter 6 (except Section 6.5) and Chapter 16 (Section 16.7-16.9)
General Information and Review
- [1st Year's Enthalpy Videos]
- [Zumdahl Notes for Enthalpy Intro in Chapter 6]
- Calculating Enthalpy change by:
- Calorimetry Equations:
- Non-phase change (system does not change phase): deltaH = (m)(deltaT)(c), where c = specific heat capacity (H2O is 1.00cal/(g-degC) or 4.18 J/(g-degC) ). There are variation on this equation where the m and c are changed but the importance thing is that units cancel.
- Phase change Equation: deltaH = (m or other) (Phase change Enthalpy change)
- Big thing here is no deltaT (since in a phase change temperature does not change) and that the Phase change Enthalpy change term has some units as (m or other).
- There are various names for Phase change Enthalpy change include Molar Heat of Vaporization, Heat of Condensation, etc.
- Hess' Law : [Example of Hess' Law Calculations]
- Standard Enthalpy of Formation: [Example of Standard Enthalpy of Formation Calculations]
Entropy and Gibbs Free Energy