ChemistryWiki | RecentChanges | Preferences
Objectives of Mass and Matter - (CP Revised 2018-2019)
Essential Question (EQ1): Are there any basic skills/theory?
The student should be able to:
Show all work in mathematical problems as stated in class.
1. Be able to state and explain the Four Basic Principles
2. Be able to state/understand (and explain each basic unit (I call Particles) of matter
3. Explain the difference between physical and chemical properties including providing examples.
- For 1st year chem students they are; atoms (for elements), ions (for ionic Compounds), molecules (for Molecular compounds) and metals (a special case that will be talked about later).
4. Explain the difference between intensive and extensive properties including providing examples.(CP Learners do not need to know for test)
5. Explain the difference between chemical change (i.e. chemical reaction ) and a physical process
6. State the four observations for a chemical reaction.
7. Differentiate between an element, compound and mixture. There is a common flowchart for that covers all matter).
8. Differentiate between a heterogeneous and homogeneous mixture including providing examples.
9. Explain the three reason why mixtures and compounds are different including how homogeneous mixture is different from compound.
10. Differentiate between a solution (homogeneous solution), colloid, and a suspension.
11. Be able to define compound (exactly as I have defined them). Only definition need to know verbadum.
12. Define chemistry and understand the difference between pure and applied scientists.
13. State the 3 phases of matter and be able to explain how they are different from each other (including Intermolecular Force issue) using the particle view of matter.(2018-2019 Honors Learners Do not need to know)
14. Memorize the first 10 elements and their chemical symbol. Also understand what a chemical formula is.
15. Be able to indicate from a Periodic Table where the metals, non-metals and semi-metals are located.