ApchemWiki | RecentChanges | Preferences
Thermodynamics : The Study of the Flow of Heat / Energy
Chapters in Zumdahl, Chapter 6 (except Section 6.5) and Chapter 16 (Section 16.7-16.9)
General Information and Review
- [1st Year's Enthalpy Videos]
- [Zumdahl Notes for Enthalpy Intro in Chapter 6]
- Calculating Enthalpy change by:
- Calorimetry Equations:
- Non-phase change (system does not change phase): deltaH = (m)(deltaT)(c), where c = specific heat capacity (H2O is 1.00cal/(g-degC) or 4.18 J/(g-degC) ). There are variation on this equation where the m and c are changed but the importance thing is that units cancel.
- Phase change Equation: deltaH = (m or other) (Phase change Enthalpy change)
- Big thing here is no deltaT (since in a phase change temperature does not change) and that the Phase change Enthalpy change term has some units as (m or other).
- There are various names for Phase change Enthalpy change include Molar Heat of Vaporization, Heat of Condensation, etc.
- Hess' Law : [Example of Hess' Law Calculations]
- Standard Enthalpy of Formation: [Example of Standard Enthalpy of Formation Calculations]
Entropy and Gibbs Free Energy
- In webpage for video, there is at the bottom an online Textbook section on this topic. You should read these pages especially the section entropy and free energy you are struggling with.
- In the webpage for video, there is at the bottom an online Textbook section on this topic. You should review it but especially look at the Spontaneous related to volts (cell potential).