ChemistryWiki | Answers To 2021-2022 Review For General Info On Bonding, LDS Structure And Bond Length | RecentChanges | Preferences
Here are the answers to: 2021-2022 Review for General Info on Bonding, LDS Structures and Bond Length/Energy
2) Carbonic acid
5) Sodium phosphite
1a) Lewis Dot Structures (LDS) - show what valence electrons are being shared between what atoms and how many unshared/lone pair each atom have
1b) VSPER (Valence Shell Electron Pair Repulsion) - creates shape/geometry for LDS
1c) Hybridization - theory that explain all of this model.
2) ΔEN = 0.4, covalent (since it is less than 1.7).
3) No, since double bond have 2 pair of valence electron being shared between the two atoms, there will be more "pull" (higher CF), so the atoms would be closer to get (lower bond length) and more energy (higher bond energy) to remove the atoms from each other. This is of course compared to a single bond that has ONLY one shared pair of valence electrons between the two atoms.
4) ΔEN = 2.6, ionic bond (since it is greater than 1.7).
5) At least 2 outside atoms (not central atom) that are identical, and dissimilar (more than one type of) bonds.
6) Rule of Eight (also called Octet Rule) - After bonding (movement of valence electrons between atoms), all atoms/elements want 8 valence electron around them except H (2ve), Be (4ve), B (6ve), and 3rd energy level or greater elements can exceed the Rule of Eight.
7) Odd number of total valence electrons
8) For our class purpose, it is central atoms that have valence electrons in the 3rd energy level or greater (3rd row on Periodic Table).
9) Single bond, Double bond, Single bond
10) NO question for this number
11a) see board for LDS, Al2O3, Aluminum oxide
11b) see board for LDS, Na3P1, Sodium phosphide
12) AsCl5 - Total #ve:40ve, see board, *As is central atom & 0LP, 6 single bond
O3 - Total #ve:18ve, see board, *O is central atom & 0LP, 1 double and 1 single bond (Resonance)
CBr4 - Total #ve:32ve, see board, *C is central atom & 0LP, 4 single bond
CS2 - Total #ve:16ve, see board, *C is central atom & 0LP, 2 double bond
H2O - Total #ve:8ve, see board, *O is central atom & 2LP, 2 single bond (remember need to show shape)